You Will Thank Us – 6 Tips on SEO You Need to Know
You can’t sell to people who don’t even know you exist in the first place. This is what SEO is all about. SEO is more than hanging a ‘Welcome’ sign on your shop’s door. It helps you tell your target audience where you are and how they can find you.
Why SEO is important
SEO is one of the oldest online marketing tactics but still remains one of the most effective. SEO allows you to attract a targeted audience from organic search results. This means that the people landing on your website are already interested in your products or services. You don’t therefore have to do much in terms of convincing them to purchase what you are offering.
SEO Tips for successful campaigns
SEO however, is proving time and again that it is not as easy as many would like to believe. There are little things that you need to look out for if you are to be successful with your SEO campaign.
1. Focus on visitor experience
Many people forget that they are not only optimizing their websites for search engines but also for their users. They forget that user experience makes a big difference in terms of conversion rates.
Search engine algorithms have changed over the years. One significant change in algorithm is their ability to differentiate quality content from webpages that provide a poor user experience due to low quality or thin content. Google and other popular search engines are seeking to provide users with a better experience.
It is therefore important to ensure that:
• Your website loads faster. Users are not likely to wait for minutes as your website loads. They will just go to your competition instead.
• Your website’s pages are clutter-free. This will ensure that your web pages are visually appealing.
• Your website is easy to navigate. Include a site map and internal links to content that is related or similar. This will also help the search engine robots to index more of your webpages.
2. Avoid keyword stuffing
Keywords are important for the success of an SEO campaign. However, too much of anything (even good things) is counterproductive. Repeating the keyword too many times in your website content will result in the website being penalized.
You can avoid this by:
• Optimizing for several different keywords and keyword phrases
• Determining an optimum level and ensuring that the keywords do not surpass this level (e.g. keywords should not make up more than 3% of the content.
3. Optimize your images
It is well known that images cannot be read or indexed by search engine robots. However, images are necessary for improving the visual appeal of a web page and helping the visually impaired to understand the content on your website. It is therefore important to optimize your images.
• Use filenames that are descriptive
• Use keywords in your alt text –do this with moderation though
4. Go mobile
If you don’t have a responsive website yet, get one as soon as possible. More people today use mobile devices to access the Internet. Not using having a responsive website means that you are missing out on a large portion of the market.
5. Optimize your profiles on social media
Ensure that your social media profiles are as descriptive as possible. Provide information about you and your company. Use keywords in your content and link the content back to your website.
6. Keep your content fresh
Ensure that you keep content on your website and on your social media profile up to date and fresh. Search engine robots and human readers like fresh content. Robots will crawl and index your website more often if they find that the content on the pages changes often. In addition, human visitors will keep coming back to read more content on your website/blog if they know that you produce quality content regularly.